My journey began in Iceland where I learned about services
addresses women, prostitution, as well as human trafficking. I ventured into Columbia, and was again faced
with human trafficking resources. The
vast impact of human trafficking spreads every country. Despite being problematic in tracking and
statistical data, this practice is influencing the emergence of organizations,
agencies, and programs to combat its existence.
The
anti-sex trafficking organization in Andrha Pradesh, India, addresses children
and women with rehabilitation and prevention.
Several of the mapped pointed included reference to prevention, but the
majority are a response to a problem. By
addressing the context to which people enter prostitution or are encompassed as
sex slaves, the organization aims to change the climate, which allows for the
practice. Furthermore, I respected the
rehabilitation and family reunification aspect of the organization.
I felt that there was a strong representation of social organizations,
which address women’s rights, health, and well-being. Gender equality and assistance towards
families and mothers was dominant. The
Moroccan Solidarite Feminine addresses female rights, safety, health, as well
as families and prostitution. I find similarities
in the overall social programs in the United States and the general themes
represented in our map (addressing needs of women, families, children, and
human rights).
-Sienna
I started by looking in Morales Mexico. This is where the cooperatives were located that were discussed in our practice reading Cows for Campesinos. It was interesting to compare this organization that had people who were involved in the cause living alongside the people they were working with and having an emphasis on sharing the struggle with people to Heifer International. Heifer International is located in Little Rock Arkansas. From first glance Heifer International might seem like the kind of organization the article was talking about (one that helps from a distance but doesn't really get in touch with the needs and struggles of the people they are helping"). But when you look closer Heifer International does more than just send animals to other countries without getting involved. They also provide 12 Cornerstones for Just and Sustainable Development; which include, women's empowerment, education and training, and sustainable farming. They work alongside people to achieve these goals. Next I looked at Gender in Agriculture Partnership in Italy. It was encouraging to see that this organization also combines agriculture, policy, and gender equality.It seems like many organizations are tying together agriculture human rights and community well being. Human rights and agriculture are also an issue here in Vermont with migrant workers in the dairy industry. An organization that is involved in this work in Vermont is Migrant Justice.
ReplyDeleteSienna, I enjoyed reading your post. I recall your keen interest in human trafficking during class and see that you have followed through by concentrating on this important issue. I would also refer you to the United Nations Office in Vienna where professionals work on this global concern from an interdisciplinary and cultural competent perspective.
ReplyDelete